OUR STORY: Brooklyn Boulders opened on September 9, 2009 in Gowanus, built out of the old Daily News Garage with a passionate group of early adopters. From there, an incredible community was born, and we realized we had something special on our hands- BKB was more than a climbing gym, it was a second home for many to bring their passions to life. Each Brooklyn Boulders thereafter became an improved iteration, and we're continuing to innovate to inspire people to live their best lives possible, through physical potential, arts and culture, innovation and diversity. We recently launched a new concept called BKBX as well, an Adventure Training Center in Boston featuring innovative fitness classes and technology, a state-of-the-art recovery center, an extensive bouldering wall, outdoor expeditions, and more.
We live and breathe our core values - they are the heart of what makes Brooklyn Boulders.
GET WEIRD Be yourself. BKB is your creative playground.
CO-CREATE Trust your team. Results are stronger when we collaborate.
BE RELENTLESS Attitude is everything. Take risks. Fall hard. Get back up.
MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL Create something extraordinary. Be proud to share it. Never stop improving.
MAKE IT AN OPEN HOUSE PARTY Encourage diversity and inclusion.
WE ARE: Combining work, life, and play. We're creating and fostering a diverse community of climbers, creatives, fitness enthusiasts, and entrepreneurs all under one roof. Our community is our lifeblood. Whether it's through special events, climbing classes, or everyday interactions in our collaborative workspaces, our work is motivated by our commitment to providing them with inspiring experiences and exceptional opportunities.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We're looking for a motivated, enthusiastic, and detail oriented People & Culture Generalist to oversee full-cycle human resources administration and operations for our New York City Region. The People and Culture Generalist thrives on helping others, growing culture through results, and is passionate about making BKB the best workplace possible. From recruiting and onboarding, to payroll and benefits administration, to employee relations and conflict resolution, the People & Culture Generalist is an all-around progressive HR wizard helping to drive the workplace culture at BKB.
It's time to get weird with Brooklyn Boulders.
This role is 50-60% remote. The other portion of time will be spent meeting with Managers and Team Members in our facilities, traveling to our Headquarters in Denver, visiting facilities in other states, etc.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
* Responsible for recruiting success of all positions in region. This currently includes two New York facilities (In Brooklyn and Queensbridge). * Responsible for devising and executing recruiting plan for two new NY facilities in Fall 2019. * Owns full cycle recruiting for Management and Experience Team (Sales) positions. * Posts positions * Phone Screens * Schedules interviews, debriefs, assignments with Hiring Manager * Uses Linkedin recruiter to source qualified applicants * Offer Letter Process * Supports with non-management and non-sales positions as needed * Uses traditional and non-traditional job posting methods * Ensures Managers are evaluating candidates at 30, 60, and 90 day mark * Continually makes sure Managers are utilizing the ATS to full potential * Enforces and manages all policies (hiring committees) * Participates in Career Fairs and Networking events * Holds monthly succession planning meetings with each Manager to keep abreast of recruiting needs * Facilitates new BKB and/or BKBX openings in the region
* Responsible for successful onboarding of all new team members * Coordinates and runs orientation as needed * Ensures offer letters are properly signed and stored, I9's are properly completed, pay rate forms are submitted, etc. * Smooth transition of new hires to their managers
* Answers any employee inquiries, escalating to Director of People and Culture where necessary * Coaches Managers on conflict resolution * Assists Director of People and Culture with investigations, documentation, etc. * Assists Managers with writing performance improvement plans and development plans * Facilitates compensation committees
Payroll, HRIS, and Benefits
* Processes bi-weekly payroll * Maintainins HR system * Ensures Managers are sending termination documents and employees are being terminated in system * Ensures promotions/job title changes are entered into the system * Ensures pay rates are entered into the system * PTO time * Leaves of absence * Responsible for ensuring benefits deductions, 401K deductions, as well as any other deductions and/or garnishments are properly applied, FSA, HSA, providing training on what it means to have these benefits, commuter benefits * Manages Life Insurance Portal * Manages EBITDA and revenue shares for facilities * Administration of FMLA and other leaves * Administration of Workers Compensation and Disability benefits * Responsible for working with Payroll Company and Benefits Broker to ensure we are following all compliance laws and reporting laws * Reviews and processing monthly billings from insurance providers * Assists in annual open enrollment period during 4th quarter of each year * Responsible for filling out employee verification forms as needed * Miscellaneous reports as needed
* Reviews all documentation surrounding terminations before they are executed * Consulting with legal where necessary * Prepares separation agreements as necessary * Present as needed during terminations
* Provides HR training to facilities including but not limited to: * Sexual harassment training * Termination training * Hiring process training-both process and legalities surrounding hiring * Ultimate Software training
* Ensures all employees go through bi-annual performance evaluation process * Executes calibration meetings to ensure performance evaluations are standardized throughout company
* Proactively works with General Managers to increase retention (This could mean hosting round tables, executing events, celebrating milestones, running award programs, etc).
* At least 3+ years of recruiting in a high volume recruiting. * 2 + years of HR generalist role. * 1-2 years management experience preferred. * Roll with the punches attitude. This is a developing company and we need someone who is okay with change as we constantly improve our operations. * Passion for organizational development! We are building the Culture Team and want someone who can make strong contributions to standardizing our processes. * Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to establish and maintain relationships, plus the ability to resolve conflicts quickly and effectively * A proven history of both showing optimism in the face of challenges and overcoming obstacles * Excellent writing and communication skills * The ability to multi-task, prioritize, and execute on tight deadlines with consistency * 1-2 years recruiting and employee relations experience is required * Previous experience with any/all of the following is preferred Training, Payroll, Benefits, Compliance, Culture Building
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and PEOPLE & CULTURE GENERALIST is?
* Enthusiastic about making BKB the best workplace in the world! * Diligent, relentless, and detail oriented, with a history of taking initiative and demonstrating leadership skills * Able to balance business and people needs * Composed and professional in delicate situations, but not afraid to get weird and make it an open house party
Benefits and Perks:
* Free membership for employees * Complimentary membership for a significant other or family member * Unlimited free guest passes for friends* * Discounts on personal training, retail, and guided outdoor adventure trips * Free access to non-competitive youth programs for children of employees * Company offered health, dental, and vision plans * Generous paid time off policies * Generous parental leave policy
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.